Expunging a Felony in Texas
It is not unheard of for companies to request candidates whether they have any felony convictions on work purposes. Criminal history checks are incredibly typical amid businesses across the nation, and an particular person or corporation is justified in not employing men and women who have beforehand fully commited crimes that could effect their business or criminal histories that could pose possible liability challenges.
Though felony background checks serve authentic applications for businesses, they can also stop lots of daily persons from having next odds. According to the Countrywide Work Regulation Job, sixty five million American grown ups have felony documents.
An expunction (also referred to as expungement) makes it possible for selected folks to permanently clear away information about arrests, prison expenses, or convictions from their permanent records. When a particular person has his or her criminal report expunged, all information relating to the arrest are essentially bodily ruined.
Austin Expunction Law firm
Beneath Texas Code of Felony Process § fifty five.01, a person who was placed underneath a custodial or noncustodial arrest for a felony is entitled to have all data and information relating to the arrest expunged if he or she was:
- Arrested for a crime but was by no means billed
- Billed with a felony offense that was ultimately dismissed
- Convicted as a minor for specified alcohol offenses or failure to go to college
- Arrested, charged, or convicted thanks to identity theft by an additional individual that was truly arrested, billed, or convicted of the criminal offense
- Convicted of a crime that was afterwards acquitted by the demo courtroom or the Felony Court docket of Appeals or
- Convicted of a criminal offense that was later on pardoned by the Governor of Texas or the President of the United States.
When a man or woman is not suitable to have his or her record expunged, it might even now be ready to acquire an get of nondisclosure—the approach a lot more commonly known as “sealing” a prison history.
With an purchase of nondisclosure, the document of the felony offense is hidden from general public check out and legislation enforcement agencies are prohibited from disclosing the file, although particular governmental businesses can nevertheless accessibility it.
If you are looking for to expunge or seal your criminal history in Texas, it is in your greatest fascination to make contact with The Law Place of work of Kevin Bennett. Kevin Bennett is an professional legal protection legal professional in Austin who represents clientele in Bee Cave, Lago Vista, Lakeway, Pflugerville, Sunset Valley, West Lake Hills, and many surrounding regions of Central Texas.